Urban Pathways serves as the first point of contact for New York City's most vulnerable residents - people living on the streets, in subways, or in public areas. An innovative and data-driven leader, Urban Pathways is known for the effectiveness of our "housing first" approach. We engage individuals where they are in the cycle of homelessness. Through outreach and drop-in center services, transitional, long-term and permanent housing, and comprehensive support services, Urban Pathways helps more than 2,000 homeless men and women take control of their lives and find their way home. Urban Pathways is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization. We seek to hire talented and highly motivated individuals who will partner with us to provide excellent service to our clients.
Reporting to the Director of Social Services/Social Services Supervisor, the Peer Specialist's duties include:
- Provides services and support for clients including but not limited to assessment, problem-solving, skills modeling, advocacy, training on daily living skills, and money management skills development.
- Conducts field work including but not limited to home visits, escorting clients to appointments, and outreach.
- Maintains and submits all necessary documents and reports as required by Urban Pathways, regulatory and funding agency policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Attends staff meetings, professional training, and supervisory sessions, as required.
- Maintains relationships with community services and resources.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Completion of Peer Advocacy/Specialist Training Program required.
- Experience using behavioral health services (mental health, co-occurring substance use treatment) and/or involvement in the justice system.
- Good computer skills and/or ability to learn computer programs including Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) and client data programs such as AWARDS.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
- Clean drivers license a plus.
- Veterans preferred.