Job # 540789
What you’ll be doing...
The Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP) Core, Edge and International regions are discrete private cloud environments. Each is an OpenStack-based platform delivering infrastructure services (IaaS) in support of enterprise solutions, wireless, wireline applications and the migration of traditional applications based on physical infrastructure to virtualized infrastructure. VCP is the directional cloud platform supporting applications from all lines of the Verizon business. In this role you will support the engineering, operations, and maintenance of VCP and its global footprint. The role is dynamic and includes interfacing with tenants and other support teams during triage events.
- Provide 24x7 operational support for the VCP Core and Edge platforms.
- Look for and exploit opportunities for operational and management automation by using agile software development practices and tools such as Ansible, Puppet, BASH and Python Scripting.
- Responsible for one or more of the following: deployment, upgrading, and patching
- Responsible for daily operations. This includes responsibilities for back end storage solutions, and underlying network infrastructure.
- Serve as the point of escalation for operational issues identified by platform tenants, tier 1 support, and other Verizon business units.
- Responsible for implementing new operational procedures to evolve and streamline the operational processes.
- Monitor the operational status of VCP resources and take corrective actions where needed. This includes engaging with vendors and platform tenants to resolve issues.
- Monitor platform efficiencies, for maintaining accurate and up-to-date performance metrics, logging, and alarming as well focusing on operational discipline and security best practices.
- Effectively communicating with cloud tenants and occasionally external customers.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or related discipline.
- Experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a virtualized environment.
- Knowledge with OpenStack deployment, administration, and operations.
- Experience with networking concepts and protocols; network certifications CCNA, CCP or related proficiencies
- Experience working with execution frameworks and modern configuration management tools such as Ansible.
- Experience with distributed storage solutions such as iSCSl, Ceph, and Swift.
- Experience deploying and supporting various distributions of OpenStack.
- Strong scripting skills such as Python, Bash, and Perl.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Technical and analytical skills with the ability to troubleshoot end-to-end systems.
- Experience with carrier grade hardware.
- Fearless attack for learning new technology.
- Linux certifications I and II, or related proficiencies.
- Strong Knowledge of IP network services and protocols and network services (DNS, LDAP, NFS, SSH).
- OpenStack certification
- Experience with DBMS (Database systems).
- Experience with firewalls and load balancers.
- Experience with network routing and security
- Experience with network trouble shooting tools e.g. for packet capture.
- Experience with LTE/IMS Call Flows.
- Contribution to open-source projects.
- Membership and interaction with the OpenStack community and active participation in the core projects.
- Willingness to travel.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.