As an Associate Scientist 2 within Illumina’s Research and Technology Development team, you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary research team to help create new sequencing methods. You will play an important role in the research and development of sequencing reagents and consumables with the world-class performance, stability and robustness characteristics that our customers require.
You will be responsible for developing cutting edge technologies and related assays by designing and executing experiments, collecting data, performing analysis, drawing conclusions and presenting to key stakeholders.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Design and perform experiments, communicate results and conclusions to aid in team decision-making.
- Contribute to ongoing research projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Keep detailed lab notebooks, prepare reports, updates, and summaries for managers and teams.
- Upkeep of lab equipment, laboratory supplies and good housekeeping.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
- PhD degree in chemistry or materials science.
- At least a BSc or Masters degree in chemistry or materials science with 6+ years of industrial experience.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in nucleotide chemistry.
- Experience in various chromatography purification techniques.
- Industrial experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent skills in synthetic organic chemistry, small molecule synthesis, polymer synthesis, biomolecular bioconjugation.
- Experienced in analytical techniques such as NMR, HPLC and MS.
- Excellent laboratory, experimental and organizational skills.
- Proven track record of innovation and scientific creativity.
- Design and execute experiments with limited instruction.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot, propose next steps or suggest alternate strategies.
- Perform data analysis; write reports and present results to the project team, draw conclusion and propose next steps.
- Attention to detail and the ability to communicate effectively, taking initiative.
- Analytical, organized, efficient, problem solver, easily-adaptable, self-motivated, independent but also works well in a team.
- A self-starter, positive, and driven with a “can do” attitude.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.