Job # 545160
What you’ll be doing...
You will help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team of software and systems engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance, and security. Qualified systems engineers will have a background in IT, computer systems engineering, or systems engineering.
- Install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems, application software, and system management tools.
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with software engineering teams on project deliverables – by streamlining the integration and deployment process across multiple environments.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
- Participate in application performance testing – monitoring for potential bottlenecks and other application issues (CPU, Memory, etc.); identify potential solutions, and work with developers/testers to implement those fixes.
- Write and maintain custom scripts to automate tasks and improve efficiency.
- Coordinate and communicate with NOC; provide Tier-2 and Tier-3 level support.
- Contribute to and maintain systems standards/best practices.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four years or more years or work experience.
- Four or more years or relevant work experience.
- Experience in Linux system administration – including building/provisioning large-scale physical and virtual environments.
- Experience in Linux scripting and administration automation.
- Experience developing and prototyping new software deployments.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have:
- Knowledge of Big Data technologies experience such as Hadoop/HBase/SOLR/Kafka/Nifi.
- College degree in a relevant engineering field or exceptional hands-on system engineering experience.
- Experience applying OS patches/upgrades on a regular basis, configuration/addition of new services as necessary.
- Experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (Java, Tomcat).
- Experience with monitoring systems.
- Experience with automation software (Vagrant, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.).
- Solid scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, Perl, Python).
- Understanding of IT security practices and ensuring key system controls are in place.
- Database administration experience with standard relational databases such as MySQL/MariaDB, Postgres.
- Experience with the administration of one or multiple components of Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
- Networking knowledge (network layers, TCP/IP, Firewalls, IPsec).
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.