Job # 544477
What you’ll be doing...
We’re looking for an amazing Principal Engineer to join our close-knit airborne connectivity team. You’ll be working in an exciting startup environment within the foundation of a large company (Verizon). You will have the freedom and autonomy to do your best work, with the support and camaraderie you need to enjoy your job. In this role you will be contributing to the future of connected aviation.
As the Principal Engineer for aviation network performance, you will work collaboratively with Skyward’s aviation network technology engineering team and Verizon’s network teams to design, develop, and implement product offerings that securely connect manufacturers’ cellular devices with cloud services and other devices via Verizon’s wireless network. You will participate in a collaborative Agile team environment and build features that not only meet customer requirements, but help Skyward encourage best practices in an incredibly innovative industry.
- Design and build aviation network solutions based on business requirements involving advanced networks, data center, security, and virtualization technologies; as well as development of fault and performance management policies and automation rules.
- Develop and maintain proficient technical understanding in strategic and system-level aeronautical telecommunications technologies and capabilities as well as specific technical expertise in critical components or systems.
- Contribute to technical standards in bodies such as 3GPP and ASTM.
- Work with Verizon product groups and engineers to adapt existing Verizon solutions for aviation uses.
- Build expertise to become a Verizon subject matter expert on connecting aviation with cellular networks.
- Interface with Verizon network organizations to scope network enhancements to further optimize the network for support of airborne devices.
- Create testable, well documented solutions; participate in peer reviews; troubleshoot and optimize network performance.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of LTE technologies and network elements of the E-UTRAN and EPC (eNodeB, HSS, MME, PCRF, SGW, PGW, etc.)
- Knowledge of LTE link-layer protocols, to include Media Access Control (MAC) and Logical Link Control (LLC) as well as the underlying sub-layers: PDCP, RLC, RRC.
- Knowledge of physical layer wireless technologies including IEEE 802.11, OFDM, SC-FDM.
- Willingness to understand new technology development and software/communications systems in regulated and or standardized markets.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree or twelve or more years of work experience.
- Ten or more years of relevant work experience.
- Master's degree.
- Cisco CCNP/CCDP/CCDA certification or equivalent practical knowledge, and/or Juniper JNCIS with a higher level certification preferred (example – CCIE or JNCIE).
- Knowledge of all major routing protocols (For example : BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, GLBP, VRF), Traffic engineering, L2/L3 VPN, multicast & class of service.
- Knowledge of cellular standards progression, with emphasis on 5G and SCEF/NEF.
- LTE industry specific certifications or equivalent practical knowledge, i.e. Ericsson Technical Certification Program, or Nokia LTE Certification Program and/or Cloud Packet Core.
- Possess in-depth Juniper & Cisco knowledge with MPLS network architecture and design disciplines, operational support familiarity, previous and implementation and thorough configuration knowledge and capabilities for all platform levels.
- Knowledge of aviation communications technologies.
- Experience flying drones for business or pleasure (FAA Part 107 certification preferred).
- Demonstrated leadership examples such as Technical Lead.
- Technical writing skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good organizational skills.
- Capability to work on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of various factors.
- Ability to exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Willingness to accept new challenges, assist in troubleshooting issues, and possess the ability to jump into areas that go beyond the job description.
- Ability to embrace change and work in a fast paced, iterative environment.
- Ability to develop an understanding of the commercial UAS marketplace and customers’ needs.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative Agile team.
- Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.