Job # 544474
What you’ll be doing...
As a Backend Engineer, you will design, develop, and implement new capabilities for our Platform (100% SaaS, AWS). You will participate in a collaborative Agile team environment and build features that not only meet customer requirements, but help encourage best practice in an incredibly innovative industry.
- Using Java and related frameworks such as Spring Boot, data stores (Postgres with PostGIS), and message queues to create scalable web services using REST/JSON or other formats (e.g. protocol buffers).
- Participating in Agile practices such as standups, estimating, prioritization, and retrospectives.
- Working with front-end engineers to understand user requirements and provide endpoints that help accomplish building appealing interfaces.
- Collaborating with our Agile teams to evolve architectural patterns that ensure scalable, reusable, and quality implementations.
- Providing mentorship, guidance, and egoless programming that empowers team members and promotes a strong Agile culture.
- Removing technical roadblocks by identifying areas of complexity and implementing architectural improvements that increase performance and lower risk.
- Creating maintainable, well-tested code, participate in code reviews, troubleshoot and optimize backend performance.
- Keeping up-to-date on technology trends and best practices.
- Accepting new challenges, assist in troubleshooting issues, and jump into areas that go beyond the code such as builds, branching, and Agile process improvements.
What we’re looking for...
You have a passion for technology, start-ups, drones, aviation, or all of the above. You’re a driven self-starter with a high level of personal integrity. You can collaborate effectively across teams and mentor peers. You’re no stranger to a fast-paced environment and can adapt to changing priorities with ease.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- One or more years of experience with relational database technologies (Postgres, MySql, etc.) including SQL.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering.
- Two or more years of full-time development expertise with a solid foundation in Java (and related frameworks like Spring Boot), SSO frameworks/approaches, and data stores.
- Experience building scalable RESTful web services and processing JSON data.
- Experience with continuous integration, including provisioning, deployment, testing, and version control.
- Experience developing and implementing testing frameworks and best practices utilizing Test Driven Development methodologies.
- Experience working with Agile teams and evolving our Agile processes.
- Java, Test-driven development, Software Development Process, Object-Oriented Design (OOD), Software Debugging experience.
- Capability to develop an understanding of the commercial UAS marketplace and customers’ needs.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- PostGIS and Java GIS toolkit experience.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Demonstrable experience working in a service-based or micro-services environment.
- Exposure to serverless architectures.
- Experience flying drones (Part 107 certification).
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.