What you’ll be doing...
In order to open the skies so our customers can expand commercial drone operations and fly in more ways and more places, Skyward must provide products that meet the evolving needs of customers. The Principal Software Architect is a critical player in this mission. This role will provide architectural guidance for systems design and implementation of high quality, scalable, and reliable services as well as participate in, contribute to, and influence standards to enable cellular aviation ecosystem applications.
We’re looking for an amazing Principal Software Architect to join our Aviation Network Technology team. You’ll be working in an exciting startup environment within the foundation of a large company, Verizon. You will have the freedom and autonomy to do your best work, with the support and camaraderie you need to enjoy your job. In this role you will be contributing to the future of connected aviation within Verizon’s New Business Incubation team.
As a Principal Software Architect, you will play a vital role in aligning Skyward’s and Verizon’s efforts both in the development of technology as well as the standards that enable the acceleration of cellular connected aviation. In this role, you will participate in design and development of the system architecture, collaborate with internal and external partners, and develop and contribute to Verizon’s aviation interests in applicable aviation and telecommunication standards. You’ll work with our strategy and Aviation Development Center teams to develop inputs to standards and translate standards into input to product designs. The role will be part of a cross-discipline team focused on enabling 4G LTE and 5G connectivity in the drone and urban air mobility industries.
- Design, Develop and Execute System Architecture.
- Plan, design, develop, guide, improve the system architecture across partners, devices, networks, and applications to enable cellular aviation products.
- Rigorously break down problems into areas that can be developed and grown by diverse teams in incremental steps that enable customers to do even more.
- Become a connected aviation subject matter expert, understanding embedded systems and the architecture, opportunities, and challenges of cellular network technologies.
- Act as a technical lead and architect across internal teams for connected aviation products as well as collaborate with and enable external partners.
- Make clear decisions that promote well-defined, timely Verizon/Skyward capabilities and communicate our positions to concerned stakeholders.
- Communicate with Product and Policy teams about the status of relevant work and provide key points for new feature development and product launch communications.
- Develop and Contribute to Aviation and Telecommunication Standards
- Refine our knowledge of the various airborne connectivity standards by engaging with our market and all stakeholders, including applicable regulatory agencies.
- Use this knowledge to prioritize and define what standards Skyward & Verizon should develop, which we should monitor, and which we should actively counter.
- Work with Verizon and Skyward teams, as well as partners, to incorporate standards into products and services.
- Effectively communicate and maintain a trusted relationship with stakeholders, which include but are not limited to: Verizon network organizations, Engineering, Policy, Product, Partners, Flight Operations, and executive management.
- Effectively communicate your knowledge of standards, product requirements, and needs to stakeholders in everyday verbal and written communication.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Aviation, or similar technical discipline, or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in the telecommunications or aviation industries.
- Experience working with and contributing to standards
- Experience leading embedded or network system software design and architecture. .
Even better if you have:
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to learn and understand the commercial drone marketplace and customers’ needs.
- Experience that spans device software, networking, cellular connectivity, cloud applications, and 3rd party tools and integrations.
- Experience and a passion for working with Agile teams and evolving our Agile processes.
- Standards development experience in API-based technology, web service communication, cellular networks, and MNO services.
- Experience in global standards and international technology policy with diverse industry stakeholders.
- Experience with data transformation and analysis.
- Experience in machine learning, video processing and analysis, live data streaming, or geospatial technologies.
- Experience with security and reliability over variable connections.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and drive balance between experimentation and productization requirements in a dynamic environment. Previous startup environment experience.
- Knowledge of aviation and telecommunications systems, new technology development, and software systems in regulated and or standardized markets.
- Experience with FAA-regulated aviation products, such as avionics systems.
- Project Management experience, including management of cross-functional and/or cross-area projects.
- Strong engineering or research background and willingness to learn the deep technical aspects of a technology you aren’t familiar with.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm about the drone industry, including manned or unmanned pilot experience.
- Clear communication ability - written and oral - as well as presentation skills. The aptitude to effectively relay complex information to others.
- A strong sense of urgency and bias toward action with the ability to think on your feet.
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to work with and motivate team members, peers and leadership.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.