Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Splunk Enterprise Security is an advanced SIEM built atop Splunk’s data platform with lots of moving parts. We help thousands of clients as they protect their assets from cyber threats, all over the world. On any given day, our software needs to handle thousands of users, petabytes of data, and unique usage patterns across different deployment topologies.
Splunk ES is at the forefront of data processing. As we take the product to address the next anvil of data challenges that include real-time streaming data processing, integration of disparate and distributed data sources, we need strong engineers to help lead us from the front. That’s where you come in.
As a senior member of the team, you will help define the future of our on-prem and cloud product, by designing, creating, testing, and maintaining products that directly support security analysts all across the world. You will bring creativity and passion to directly influence the direction of our technology as well as mentor other members of your team.
Working directly with customers is one of our core values. In this role, you'll be able to meet customers, build empathy towards their experiences, get a first-person view of the state of the art Security Operations Centers, and collaborate with product management to define and craft new products that streamline analysts' investigations.
If staying technically challenged and learning from others is meaningful to you, you'll love our internal technical seminars and regular, company-wide hackathons.
- Deeply understand our product architecture, usage patterns, and real-world deployment scenarios to develop solutions that will bring value to our customers.
- Enhance the product, keeping scalability and performance considerations as a high priority
- Lead and drive projects to completion with minimal direction
- Partner with other leaders from architecture, eng management, and product management on project requirements
- Collaborate with members of our team to design and create full-stack solutions including back end and front end code.
- Help identify and develop ways to improve the team's productivity and efficiency by expanding on our existing tools and processes.
- Keep product quality top of mind with automated testing
- Become well versed in Splunk's core technologies as they apply to application development
- Mentor junior engineers as they develop their application development skills
- 8+ years of software engineering experience focused on application development
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly
- Have a deep understanding of scalable distributed web applications using open source or proprietary technologies
- Proficiency with Python, Java, Perl, Ruby or similar language
- Familiarity with backend application development frameworks such as Django or CherryPy
- Solid understanding of SQL and NoSQL database technologies at scale
- Experience working on low-latency, high throughput real-time data processing initiatives
- Working experience with design and engineering teams to plan, develop and release software
- An understanding of test-driven development
- Experience with an agile software development model
- Comfortable developing software on Linux, Unix, and Windows systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Nice to have
- Knowledge/experience with messaging platforms such as Kafka.
- Knowledge/experience with big data technologies (Spark, HBase, HIVE, Kinesis, etc).
- Familiarity with information security
What We Offer You
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn that will challenge and excite you. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of exceptionally driven and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment.
- Requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent practical experience or 6 years and a technical Master’s degree; or a Ph.D. with 3 years experience; or equivalent practical experience.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.