About the Role:
Uber critically depends on search, routing, and navigation services to power its business. The world's road systems, addresses, and places are always changing and consequently these services need to operate on the latest and most accurate map. The Map Data Services team's charter is to provide engineering and infrastructure solutions so that changes to the map are continuously ingested, verified and deployed to these services all the while serving hundreds of thousands of concurrent trips.
What You'll Do:
- Help build solutions that enable continuous map data deployments to live systems so that reported problems can be fixed in minutes
- Enhance validation frameworks, user generated content management, map graphs, Map task orchestration, task prioritization and Spark pipelines to help Uber ingest and maintain a high-quality living map.
- Figuring out how to best split (shard) a map of the world into smaller partitions that can be served with small footprint service instances and auto-scaled to match diurnal traffic rhythms.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor of Science degree (or higher) in computer science, related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong software engineering skills, supported by 4+ years of industry experience in languages like Java, GO, or C++.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills; ability to influence others within your team and outside your team.
Bonus Points If
- You have experience with any of the following: scalable, distributed systems and services; distributed SQL/NoSQL data stores like MySQL, HBase, Cassandra, HDFS; Spark, EMR, S3; messages queues like Kafka; geo-replication and consistency/availability trade-offs; and service-oriented-architectures.
- Experience or passion for working on systems related to maps.
About the Team:
Our team is comprised of software engineers with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.