About the Role
As a Social License Program Manager at Uber ATG, you will work closely with Uber's Policy, Federal Affairs, and Legal teams to better understand the goals of external stakeholders and policymakers in the self-driving space. In parallel, you will also work closely with Uber ATG's Engineering, Product, and Safety teams to understand the technology roadmap and any operational constraints, from a technical perspective. Well-prepared with knowledge from both sides, you will lead cross-functional groups towards reaching a common understanding of and resolution on key technical challenges across Uber ATG, such as autonomy capability and new feature development, compliance efforts, operational expansion within a city and in new cities, and new program development. This highly impactful work is deeply aligned with Uber ATG's goal to promote transparency within the industry to further the safe development of self-driving vehicles.
What You'll Do
- Become a cross-functional specialist within the organization, understanding and appropriately representing perspectives from a diverse range of stakeholders and leading groups to resolution.
- Using your knowledge of the current self-driving regulatory landscape, find opportunities within the organization where new technical solutions can better address existing needs and initiate efforts to build robust solutions to address the needs.
- Think strategically to anticipate future opportunity areas for the business based on current and burgeoning policy and regulatory landscapes in key markets and socialize those areas with Uber ATG leadership to begin to lay the groundwork for future development efforts.
- Move the needle on transparency within the self-driving industry by authoring public facing documents with digestible, technical depth and relevance.
- Serve as a principal point of technical engagement for internal and external policy and regulatory development stakeholders with respect to self-driving vehicles.
- Work collaboratively with Policy teams to engage and inform key stakeholders at the local, state, federal, and international levels. Utilize strategic insight of Uber ATG's roadmap and development efforts and to prioritize engagement timelines and strategies.
- Work in close partnership with Policy and Regulatory teams to prepare and deliver technical input to keystakeholders through a variety of channels, e.g. in-person briefings, industry working groups, written responses to rulemaking, standards, and testing considers requests for comment, and permitting application processes.
- Spearhead the generation of comprehensive technical perspectives on key policy topics for self-driving (e.g. privacy, data sharing) by soliciting input from teams across Uber ATG, assessing technical constraints, and authoring white papers to help ground Uber's positions in technical rigor.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's Degree in public policy or a technical field
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with technology-related policy issues; experience with autonomous vehicles is a plus
- Experience delivering highly successful solutions within a technology organization
- Ability to lead collaborative cross-team initiatives
- Ability to understand and convey technical depth around complex hardware and software systems to a broad and diverse audience
- Strong interpersonal communication and partnership skills, as well as success at forming effective working relationships across organizational boundaries
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to independently prioritize work and deliver quality products on tight timelines
- Tenacity and ability to build from scratch
- Grittiness and comfort with ambiguity
- Experience in technology consulting
- Experience in transportation or ridesharing
- Experience in software or hardware development
- Experience in policy or regulatory development
- Experience working for, or with, nonprofit and/or government entities
- Advanced degree(s) in engineering, public policy, or a related field
About the Team
At the Uber Advanced Technologies Group (Uber ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boulder, Seattle, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost-effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at Uber ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Uber is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Uber is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.