About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Level Data Scientist to join the Platform Core Analytics and Science (CAS) team. Platform CAS is responsible for powering the core trip experiences externally and core decision making systems internally:
- The mapping platform that performs travel time (ETA) prediction, route optimization, navigation, pickup & dropoff specification, and other geospatial technologies. These services are used throughout a trip cycle for both Rides and EATS, from key decision systems such as pricing and matching, and core trip experiences such as pickup, dropoff, and navigation experiences.
- The Uber AI team that provides machine learning solutions to teams across the company, including designing and implementing algorithms, and building the machine learning platform that provides end-to-end capabilities for prototyping, data pipelining, training, serving, and monitoring in real-time. This team also serves the user location information, including GPS and sensor information, for use by various systems at Uber.
- The Fares platform that calculates and serves the fares for riders, drivers, eaters, couriers, and restaurants. It also powers the user experiences associated with pricing.
- The Customer Obsession team that enables magical customer support experiences through in-app automation, experimentation, and NLP/chat-bot applications.
You'll be a data scientist and thought leader for a team or multiple teams within Platform CAS. You will build statistical and machine learning models for problems like travel time estimation, route optimization, search personalization and ranking, and experimentation design and analysis for new algorithm/feature/product launches. You will also work closely with senior leadership and cross-functional stakeholders to solve broader data science problems, create data science vision, guide the team's direction through data-driven insights and algorithmic thinking, and mentor junior data scientists.
What You'll Do
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning and statistics, and work with engineering/product to productionize those algorithms and create impact in production.
- Drive clarity and solve ambiguous, challenging business problems using data-driven approaches.
- Work closely with cross-functional leads to develop technical vision and drive the team direction.
- Propose and guide the framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions. Establish best practices for data science including modeling, coding, analytics, and experimentation.
- Provide technical mentorship for junior data scientists within and outside your team.
- Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams.
What You'll Need
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience. Tech lead experience is a plus.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines. Alternatively, a BS with 5 or more years of experience in relevant fields.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics.
- Experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), causal inference.
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping. Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems is a plus.
- Coding proficiency, and ability to develop statistical analysis and prototype algorithms in Python. Proficiency in Java is a plus.
- Proficiency in SQL, R, Spark.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.