Job # 545806
What you’ll be doing...
The Network Distributed Computing Architect in this position will be part of the HQ Planning organization. This role will be responsible for planning, designing and architecting different aspects of the Verizon 4G and 5G core network as well as MEC and IoT/Telematics solutions. The Architect will have responsibilities ranging from working with the business teams to gather requirements, designing solutions, selecting vendors, and then working with multiple other Network, IT, Device, and Finance teams both internally and externally to plan, design, deploy and test the deployment of MEC solutions in the Network. You will also be responsible for tracking new developments in relevant standard bodies (3GPP, GSMA) and working closely with other organizations to ensure VZW aligns with, and leads the industry in the development of new technologies and capabilities. You will lead multi-departmental teams in an effort to design and deliver on key strategic business endeavors that have highest visibility and strategic importance to Verizon Wireless.
- Define use cases, plan, architect, design documents/artifacts, test plans, etc.
- Author and collaborate on compiling Technical Service Requirements, High Level Design documents, Network Service Requirements, and other applicable engineering thought leadership documents.
- Develop detailed VZW technical requirements for new features/capabilities.
- Lead RFI/RFP leading to vendor selection for the different 4G/5G/IoT/Telematics network elements and capabilities, negotiate and manage vendor contracts and relationships.
- Analyze various technical solutions and make a recommendation that has technical, financial, and strategic advantages.
- Understand Verizon Wireless network technologies so that the proposed new features/capabilities could be integrated into the existing networks.
- Cooperate and lead interdepartmental teams towards successful deployment of the 5G network capabilities and successful market launch of the products.
- Develop planning, engineering and implementation guidelines, and provide direction for platform evolution including virtualized implementation of network elements.
- Communicate and demonstrate projects' progress and challenges on a timely basis.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Five or more years of Wireless Network (3GPP/GSMA/LTE/GSM) experience.
- Two or more years of Cloud & Network experience.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- MSEE, or Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Technology Management, or similar.
- Experience in network planning, technology development, standards group participation, experience and leadership in Network architecture, engineering, and implementation teams.
- Strong telecommunication and/or consulting business experience, or past experience in a tier1 vendors or carriers.
- Expert understanding of the LTE and 5G RAN and Core elements.
- Understanding of 3GPP, GSMA, IETF standards.
- IP communications experience (LAN/WAN/routing/switching).
- Prior working knowledge on LTE core network elements.
- Knowledge of virtualized implementation (SDN/NFV) of Wireless network nodes under NFV, OpenStack, etc.
- Understanding of new virtualization techniques like containers, WebScale architecture, Kubernetes.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, organizational and people management skills.
- Ability to generate, understand and interpret technology standards and make it a part of the design solution for projects at play.
- Proven ability to develop and implement interdepartmental processes and procedures designed to support broad reaching business initiatives and goals.
- Contract negotiation and vendor management experience.
- Ability to work independently in an unstructured environment.
- Prior experience successfully leading technical deployment of new wireless products and services.
- Financial analysis and budgeting experience.
- Prior experience creating and presenting technical recommendations to stakeholders and leadership teams.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.