DescriptionThe Buildings & Infrastructure Line of Business is a global network of employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client’s local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
As a Geotechnical Engineer, you will work with our growing geotechnical practice consisting of close to 150 geotechnical engineers in over 15 offices in North America supporting a wide variety of civil infrastructure projects. We will give you the opportunity to follow projects from the conceptual phase through to the construction phase, working on traditional design-bid-build as well as design-build projects. While working with us, you will be expected to be self-motivated and a self-starter, a strong communicator, as well as demonstrate a strong technical knowledge of the principles of soil mechanics, geotechnical design, and be able to effectively collaborate and work with our geotechnical engineers, as well as multi-displinary teams of engineers. If you have these qualities and join our team, you will have the opportunity to:
• Travel to and work in locations both within the USA and around the world supporting projects small and large.
• Work with and under the supervision of some of the highest-quality geotechnical engineers in the United States.
• Participate in field assignments that will include observation of explorations (soil and rock borings, test pits, CPT soundings, geophysical testing); installation of geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring; and inspection and construction of geotechnical structures (earth retaining structures, deep foundations, dams, tunnels, and shallow foundations).
• Analyze field logs, laboratory and field testing results, and use your knowledge and judgement to work with senior geotechnical engineers in selecting geotechnical design parameters.
• Design shallow and deep foundations, earth retaining structures, ground improvement, embankments, cut slopes, and other geotechnical structures. • Perform seismic hazard analyses, including site-response studies, liquefaction evaluations, seismic slope stability evaluations, etc.
• Prepare clear and well-organized calculation packages, as well as document the results of the calculations in well-written, clear, and concise technical memorandums, technical reports, data reports and baseline reports. • Use computer programs including Settle3D, Slide, APile, Unipile, LPILE, Shaft, FB-MultiPier, DeepXcav, GRLWeap, FLAC, PLAXIS, gINT, SNAP2 and MathCAD to complete engineering analysis.
• Prepare design drawings and construction specifications, and review construction submittals for compliance with contract requirements and design assumptions.
• Work in collaborative multi-disciplinary teams across North America and the world, sharing technical knowledge across geographical boundaries to foster innovative project solutions.
Qualifications• 0-4 years of experience
• BS in Civil Engineering
• MS in Civil Engineering with an emphasis on Geotechnical Engineering
• Graduate-level course work supporting a strong technical knowledge of the principles of soil mechanics and geotechnical design
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
• EIT (will be required to obtain within 1 year)
• Knowledge of computer programs for geotechnical analysis
• Thesis-based MS degree
• Experience with geotechnical site characterization, deep foundation and earth retaining structure design, and seismic evaluations will contribute to your success
• The ideal candidate will have a wide breadth of practical geotechnical knowledge, field exploration and geotechnical design experience, and the desire to grow personally as well as professionally
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Portland-US OR Portland - Fourth Ave Rd Flr
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Posting: Jun 2, 2020, 10:10:34 PM
Job Type: Graduate Job
Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
US OR Portland - Fourth Ave Rd Flr
2020 SW 4th Avenue, 3rd Floor
Capabilities: Geotechnical and Tunnel