DescriptionJacobs is looking for a full-time staff archaeologist to work on a variety of projects throughout southern California and the Western United States. This position will be based out of our San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine, Ontario, or Riverside, CA offices, and involves providing cultural resources support for planning, engineering, and construction services to renewable energy, government, military, transportation and commercial clients.
The archaeologist career path provides the opportunity to work on projects that require compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), Archaeological Resources Protection Act (ARPA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Native American Graves Repatriation and Protection Act (NAGPRA), and other federal, state, and local regulations. All work will be conducted under the guidance of senior cultural resources staff. For this position, the candidate will complete both field- and office-based assignments. The candidate will serve as a key team member working with contractors, scientists, engineers, project managers, and other project staff across business sectors and practices in the company. Tasks to be performed will include Phase I surveys, Phase II testing, and Phase III mitigation; completing literature and record searches; construction monitoring; serving as a field director and leading small survey crews; preparing NEPA, CEQA, and NHPA technical reports; coordinating consultation with State Historic Preservation Officers (SHPO), Tribal Historic Preservation Officers (THPO), Native American Tribes, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, and multiple state, federal, and local agencies; evaluating resources and preparing determinations of eligibility for listing in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) and California Register of Historical Resources (CRHR); and completing site records for a variety of states (CA, OR, WY, NV). If you’re up for the challenge, we’ve been looking for someone just like you. Join our team and help us lay the foundation for human progress.
• Coordinate compliance with NHPA, ARPA, NAGPRA, NEPA, state environmental regulations, and other laws relating to cultural resources.
• Conduct archival research and background records reviews.
• Coordinate and conduct all aspects of archaeological fieldwork (Phases I-III) and monitoring.
• Conduct analyses and prepare technical reports for projects that involve cultural resources.
• Evaluate eligibility of resources for listing in the NRHP and state registers of historic properties.
• Support clients during agency and tribal consultation.
• Provide support to and work with senior-level cultural resources staff.
Qualifications• Meets Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards for Archaeology and is a Registered Professional Archaeologist
• Minimum of two years of professional archaeological field work experience
• Knowledge of historic preservation laws and policies, including NEPA, NHPA, ARPA, and NAGPRA
• Familiarity with state regulations and cultural resources policies for California and the West.
• Experience using GPS technology.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must be capable of walking for long periods of time over unfamiliar terrain, excavating shovel tests and test units, screening soil, and carrying field equipment.
• Must be willing and able to travel frequently and for long periods of time, as needed.
• Must be motivated and able to work safely with minimum supervision.
• Experience working in the consulting environment and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and be responsive to both internal and external clients.
• Experience in California and the West.
Preferred years of experience: 2-5
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego-US CA San Diego - W. Brdway
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job Posting: Jul 27, 2020, 7:03:26 PM
Job: Environmental Science
Job Type: Experienced
Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
US CA San Diego - W. Brdway
402 W. Broadway, Suite 1450
San Diego 92101
Capabilities: Natural Resources Planning and Management