Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. With $15.0 billion in combined revenue and a talent force more than 77,000 strong, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, construction- and program-management for business, industrial, commercial, government and infrastructure sectors. For more information, visit www.jacobs.com
Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) is comprised of 10 companies and is located at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL (ranked #11 in Best Places to Live by U.S. News). JSEG has been a primary contractor for NASA since 1989 and supports marquee NASA programs, including the Space Launch System, International Space Station, space optics fabrication, earth and space sciences and advanced propulsion system development. As a partner in NASA’s next generation of space exploration, our jobs are literally history in the making by challenging today, reinventing tomorrow.
The Engineering and Science Services and Capabilities Augmentation (ESSCA) contract provides engineering, scientific, and technical support to NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) in Huntsville, AL. Our Structural Models, Analysis & Team is a high performing group executing challenging tasks supporting MSFC’s Structural Dynamics & Integration Branch. This team participates in the Space Launch System (SLS), Human Lander Systems (HLS), and Mars Ascent Vehicle (MAV) programs. This exciting work will serve as a critical step in sending humans to the Moon, Mars and beyond!
Our ESSCA Team Leads serve as first line supervisors and oversee the Task Orders and personnel that support the requirements defined in the ESSCA Performance Work Statement, plus any additional skills that may be required as the ESSCA contract matures. They ensure that high performing people are acquired through disciplined human resources processes and are appropriately trained, developed and perform to Jacobs’s policy and standards. Team Leads are responsible for the proactive management of assigned Task Orders and personnel to ensure effective accomplishment of MSFC requirements.
One Team Lead position is expected in Spacecraft and Vehicles for the following area:
- JV25 (EV31) – Structural Models, Test & Analysis
Position responsibilities include:
- Lead a strong and high performing team to succeed in delighting the government customer and JSEG management.
- Provide technical area supervision to include assigning and balancing team skills to various task orders to meet customer and JSEG management expectations.
- Collaborate with Department Manager to assign and develop lead personnel for each task order or subtask as appropriate.
- Support task/subtask resource allocation, tracking, and control.
- Provide oversight of individual and team technical performance. This may include managing sub-task leads in support of team effort and product deliveries, providing technical expertise in a discipline, and/or directly supporting tasks as an individual team member.
- Confirm the technical quality of the work products generated by team personnel, and establish and implement processes in the JSEG Performance Management System (JPMS).
- Train and develop team personnel thru on-the-job training, strategic technical assignments, peer-to-peer training, classes, etc.
- Forecast future resource/skills/development needs in collaboration with department management to efficiently manage and train the workforce to maximize flexibility and efficiency.
- Identify and manage cost/technical/schedule risks to ensure accomplishment of Task Order requirements, ESSCA goals and objectives, and the JSEG annual business plan.
- Implement the ESSCA safety program for the team and lead by example in our Beyond Zero culture.
- Perform hiring functions to meet team support requirements: define position requirements; conduct candidate recruiting; lead interviewing and selection; and perform on-boarding activities.
- Develop employee goals and objectives and conduct performance evaluations. Support disciplinary processes with team personnel if needed.
- Implement the awards and recognition program within the team and drive team morale.
- Review and approve employee travel and training needs and requests and associated expense reports.
- Establish and oversee specialty subcontracting requirements in collaboration with the Task Lead and JSEG Business and Finance Office (BFO) to include coordination of task assignments and performance. Develop subcontractor Statements of Work (SOW) and management of subcontractors.
Team Leads will provide support to ESSCA contract operations in the areas of:
- Ensure excellent customer relations and harmonious team dynamics and operations through excellent conflict resolution.
- Facilitate excellent coordination/communication/collaboration with other Team Leads, JSEG management, Teammate Principals, ESSCA Technical Fellows, BFO and HR.
- Support JSEG leadership communication, sharing, and development of best practices for MSFC and across ESSCA.
- Actively work with JSEG and MSFC personnel to explore new work areas and develop new task scope in conjunction with our Jacobs Solutions initiative.
- Lead and supervise personnel in the technical accomplishment of task orders.
- Drive employee awareness and commitment to personal safety, mission success and client satisfaction.
- Notify JSEG management and appropriate Teammate Principal of activities that could require disciplinary and/or safety actions.
- Ensure quality of technical work in accordance with the JSEG Performance Management System (JPMS), for which the team is responsible.
- Coordinate subcontractor task assignment and performance.
- Strategically assign personnel to broaden and develop their skills, and provide points of contact for each Task Order or Subtask.
- Apply analytical, design, and test tools to provide state-of-art capability to MSFC and consistency across our entire staff.
- Leverage broad experience/familiarity to effectively apply the technologies and tools used in technical discipline.
- Conduct special projects as assigned by Department Manager or Office of Program Manager.
Degree in scientific, engineering or related field is required. Degree from an ABET accredited university preferred. An MS or Ph.D. degree is very desirable. Typically, educational requirements are the equivalent of a Ph.D., with a minimum 4 years of experience, Masters with at least 8 years of experience, or BS with at least 10 years of experience.
The candidate is required to have outstanding technical and leadership qualifications in one or more of the following areas:
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Broad customer and professional network in the field of technical expertise
- Technical leadership and engineering management in aerospace disciplines
- Participation in professional society, e.g. AIAA, NSBE, SHPE, SWE, etc.
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of technical management and systems management as needed to support evaluation of MSFC programs and projects.
Technical expertise in one or more of the following technical specialties is highly desirable:
- Structural Dynamic Modeling Analysis, and/or Test Support
- Vibroacoustics Analysis and/or Test Support
The Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally within a framework of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join our team on the Engineering Services and Science Capability Augmentation (ESSCA) contract whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
For more information on why Huntsville is known as “one of the smartest cities in the nation”, check out these websites
Office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<15%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines:
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions:
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
: United States-Alabama-Huntsville-20320-MSFC
: Jul 28, 2020, 8:22:16 PM
Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
620 Discovery Drive
Capabilities: Aerospace Technology and Defense Programs and Facilities