At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
The Compute Team is responsible for the Kubernetes-based infrastructure platform that all Lyft engineers rely on to run workloads at scale. We also provide tooling for infrastructure engineers to interact with our multi-cluster services and collaborate with our deployment, networking, and observability teams on our Kubernetes abstractions.
As an engineer on the Compute Team, you will use and contribute to the Kubernetes open source ecosystem in order to deliver a reliable and efficient compute platform. You will be operating one of the largest self-managed Kubernetes multi-cluster deployments, which gives you and the team the opportunity to regularly talk about your work in the community and at conferences, such as KubeCon. Our team regularly gives back to the Kubernetes and open source community by developing new components and providing patches to upstream projects.
- Build and deploy open-source Kubernetes at scale, creating Lyft-specific systems and extensions to manage our fleet reliably
- Design, build and maintain tooling and services to improve efficiency and reliability of our Kubernetes platform and to enable users to confidently run their services on our infrastructure
- Work with product engineering teams to understand their use cases, communicate design trade-offs effectively, and design and build scalable systems to solve for their needs
- Debug complex problems between application layers and low-level infrastructure
- Build and develop partnerships across the organization to provide a great customer experience
- Drive incident responses to conclusion by coach the team on operational best practice and identifying long-term systemic fixes
- Develop and improve testing and automation processes in order to reduce operational burden
- Work with and contribute back to open source communities (e.g. Kubernetes, Envoy) to implement and maintain world-class infrastructure that scales
- You have experience building and operating Kubernetes and executing deployments at scale in production environments
- You have experience developing in Go or Python
- You understand the importance of effective testing in order to release reliable software
- You are comfortable with operating and debugging Linux systems in production
- You take pride in reducing technical debt; you pay attention to small details, and you value keeping code/configuration clean and maintainable
- You value root-causing operational issues across multiple layers of the stack and implementing systemic solutions to make sure issues do not reoccur
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.