Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. With $15.0 billion in combined revenue and a talent force more than 77,000 strong, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, construction- and program-management for business, industrial, commercial, government and infrastructure sectors. For more information, visit www.jacobs.com
Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) is comprised of 10 companies and is located at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL (ranked #11 in Best Places to Live by U.S. News). JSEG has been a primary contractor for NASA since 1989 and supports marquee NASA programs, including the Space Launch System, International Space Station, space optics fabrication, earth and space sciences and advanced propulsion system development. As a partner in NASA’s next generation of space exploration, our jobs are literally history in the making.
As a Team Lead in the Space Launch System (SLS) and Human Exploration Office on the Engineering Service and Science Capability Augmentation (ESSCA) contract, you will lead effort conducted in support of NASA MSFC’s Systems Engineering & Integration (SE&I) Office and Program Operations & Strategic Communications Office within the SLS Program Office.
Our ESSCA Team Leads serve as first line supervisors and oversee the task orders and personnel that support the requirements defined in the ESSCA Performance Work Statement. They ensure that high performing people are acquired through disciplined human resources processes and are appropriately trained/developed and perform to Jacobs’s policy and standards. Team Leads are responsible for the proactive management of assigned task orders and personnel to ensure effective accomplishment of MSFC requirements.
Team Lead JSEG responsibilities include:
- Lead a strong and high performing team that succeeds in delighting the government customer and JSEG management.
- Provide technical area supervision to include assigning and balancing team skills to various tasks/subtasks to meet customer and JSEG management expectations.
- Collaborate with the Office Manager to assign and develop lead personnel for each task/subtask.
- Perform and support task/subtask resource allocation, tracking, and control.
- Ensure that tasks/subtasks are estimated correctly and that task/subtask technical, schedule and financial performance meet expectations.
- Provide oversight of individual and team technical performance, establishing and implementing processes in the JSEG Performance Management System (JPMS) and confirming the technical quality of the work products generated by team personnel.
- Train and develop team personnel through on-the job training, strategic technical assignments, peer-to-peer training, classes, etc.
- Forecast future resource/skills/development needs in collaboration with office management to efficiently manage and train the workforce to maximize flexibility and efficiency.
- Identify and manage cost/technical/schedule risks to ensure accomplishment of task order requirements, ESSCA goals and objectives, and the JSEG annual business plan.
- Support the Office Manager in preparing Operations Review material.
- Implement the ESSCA safety program for the team and lead by example in our Beyond Zero culture.
- Perform hiring functions to meet team support requirements: define position requirements; conduct candidate recruiting; lead interviewing and selection; and perform on-boarding activities.
- Perform development of employee goals and objectives and conduct performance evaluations. Support disciplinary processes with team personnel if needed.
- Implement the awards and recognition program within the team and drive team morale.
- Review and approve employee travel and training needs and requests and associated expense reports.
- Establish and oversee specialty subcontracting requirements in collaboration with the JSEG Business and Finance Office (BFO) to include coordination of task assignments and performance, development of subcontractor Statements of Work (SOW) and management of subcontractors.
- Conduct direct task/subtask support some percentage of time as an individual team member providing technical expertise in an SE&I and/or operations discipline.
Team Lead ESSCA contract responsibilities include:
- Ensure excellent customer relations and harmonious team dynamics and operations through excellent conflict resolution.
- Facilitate excellent coordination/communication/collaboration with other Team Leads, JSEG management, Teammate Principals, ESSCA Technical Fellows, Business Finance Office and Human Resources.
- Support JSEG leadership communication, sharing, and development of best practices for MSFC and across ESSCA.
- Actively work with JSEG and MSFC personnel to explore new work areas and develop new task scope in conjunction with our Jacobs Solutions initiative.
- Lead and supervise personnel in the technical accomplishment of task/subtasks.
- Drive employee awareness and commitment to personal safety, mission success and client satisfaction.
- Notify JSEG management and appropriate Teammate Principal of activities that could require disciplinary and/or safety actions.
- Ensure quality of technical work in accordance with the JSEG Performance Management System (JPMS) for which the team is responsible.
- Strategically assign personnel to broaden and develop their skills, and provide points of contact for each task/subtask.
Minimum of 15 years in a technical discipline is required. SE&I and aerospace operations experience strongly desired.
Degree in engineering or related field is required. Degree from an ABET- accredited university is preferred.
- PhD and 9+ years of direct experience
- Masters and 13+ years of direct experience
- Bachelors and 15+ years of direct experience
Additional desired skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Broad customer and professional network in the field of technical expertise.
- Participation in professional society, e.g. AIAA, IEEE, NSBE, SHPE, SWE, etc.
- Technical leadership and engineering management in aerospace disciplines.
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of technical management and systems management as needed to support evaluation of MSFC programs and projects.
The Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally within a framework of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join our team on the Engineering Services and Science Capability Augmentation (ESSCA) contract whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
For more information on why Huntsville is known as “one of the smartest cities in the nation”, check out these websites:
General office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<5%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines:
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions:
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
: United States-Alabama-Huntsville-20320-MSFC
: Nov 9, 2020, 8:18:19 PM
Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
620 Discovery Drive
Capabilities: Aerospace Technology and Defense Programs and Facilities