Jacobs is the world’s top supplier of automotive test facilities, providing a full range of services to commercial automotive industry customers. Customers include not only the world’s major vehicle providers and other original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), but also clients from the international motor sports community.
Our experience encompasses virtually every type of automotive test facility, including climatic and driveability wind tunnels; aerodynamic, acoustic, and thermodynamic wind tunnels; emissions test rooms; soak rooms; altitude chambers; engine and powertrain test cells; and electromagnetic anechoic chambers. We not only design and build these facility systems assets but also operate, maintain, and manage these facilities.
The Machine Shop Technician is an entry level position, giving those who want to work in the vehicle testing field the opportunity to learn and grow with an industry leader. You will provide essential support to the Test Engineers and Technicians.
This position is full-time. Machine Shop Technicians are employees of Jacobs. This is NOT a contract position. You will be eligible for our generous benefit package, including health insurance, dental, vision, generous PTO, paid holidays, 401K, stock purchase plan, and tuition reimbursement.
BRIEF OUTLINE OF SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Jacobs Technology has an opportunity for a Machine Shop Test Tech in the Transmission Test Lab
Duties and responsibilities include:
- The operation of machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to produce metal parts.
- Review blueprints or specifications for a job.
- Calculate where to cute or bore.
- Shape a variety of materials (primarily steel and aluminium) based on dimensions requested.
- Work with requesters to meet all testing requirements using written and verbal methods of communication.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND /OR SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma
- Have an understanding of engine and drivetrain components and their functions.
- Computer experience
- Bridgeport, lathe and a variety of machine shop tools experience.
- Associate in Automotive Technology or related field of study
- Engine or transmission related testing
- Welding skills (primarily TIG)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
- Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. lifted vertically from knee to waist level, 25%
- Climbing: 25%
- Crawling: NA
- Special clothing/equipment (wearing): Safety glasses, slip resistant hardened toe shoes, gloves, long pants, short sleeve shirts, safety glasses, hearing protection on sites.
- Unusual physical requirements: Sitting (75%), Standing (50%), Bending (25%), Stooping (25%), frequently walking up and down stairs (1 hour). Job requires manual labor.
- High noise level: Audiograms required (TWA over 85 dB)
- Other: NA
Description of Work Environment
- Inside? Outside? Combination? Where?: Inside, 100%
- Extreme (hot/cold) temperatures involved: NA
- Hazardous conditions - What are they?: NA
- Travel/transportation requirements: NA
- Other: NA
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
- Office equipment/machines electrically/battery operated - which?: Computers, 25%
- Vehicles, forklifts, etc. operated which?: PMHV, 25%
- Tools used in trade - which ones?: Air driven sockets, basic hand tools, 25%
- Other: NA
Criticality of Attendance
- Overtime, regular days, off days: Monday through Friday, 100%
- Shift, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: Dayshift but shift assignment is subject to change, so candidate must be flexible with available work hours.
- Necessity for regular attendance: Critical, 100%
- Urgency for punctuality: Critical, 100%
- Work hours are normally 8 hours per day and 5 days per week, Monday-Friday. Regular attendance of scheduled hours is extremely important. Punctuality and regular attendance are necessary. Must have flexibility of work days to cover weekend testing requirements.
Other Essential Functions
Must complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, health performance evaluation, and background check.
- Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times when dealing with customers, management and co-workers.
- Must have clear, concise and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to self or others.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner.
- Dependable personal transportation to work site is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
: United States-Michigan-Livonia-20313-DETO-06
: Nov 10, 2020, 8:32:59 PM
Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
Capabilities: Advanced Technology Facilities