Are you passionate about human space exploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a dynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your commitment, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over the globe. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality of life of people around the world. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working alongside NASA at centers across the United States.
We have the unique and significant role to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), to be part of every human spaceflight program – the International Space Station (ISS), NASA’s Orion spacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, the orbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back and forth to the moon’s surface, and serving as the platform for deep space exploration. From critical systems on the ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanced development for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of the foundation for Gateway.
We also partner with NASA at JSC, the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samples returned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbital debris analysis, and basic research to further humankind’s understanding of the origins of our solar system.
We need you to be a part of our team!
**We are actively searching for qualified candidates for this potential opening, however we do not have assurance at this time if and when the position will be finalized and opened. Because we have strong reason to believe the position will be approved soon, we are proceeding with identifying qualified candidates and conducting interviews.**
We are currently in need of a Section Manager - Electronics and Electrical Systems to join our team with GeoControl Systems, Inc., a JETS teammate company. Do you have the following skills?
As a Section Manager - Electronics and Electrical Systems you will:
- Report directly to the Design and Analysis Group Manager. The position is responsible for the direct management of approximately 40 people involved in various aspects of Electrical System Development across and in support of several NASA Engineering Divisions.
- Ensure employees in functional areas follow established procedures and generate finished work products under time and budgetary constraints and ensures products yield the expected outcome and established quality levels. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ensure Project Managers have adequate Electronics/Electrical design personnel to accomplish associated tasks.
- Conduct meetings with Project Managers to provide status and obtain feedback.
- Perform routine electrical design reviews for cost, schedule, risk management, and deliverable adherence.
- Conduct oversight, mentorship and guidance to individual electrical design task leads.
- Work with electrical design task leads to track and maintain efficient task performance.
- Maintain an active list of lessons learned to actively inform section members.
- Provide support to engineering lab manager in maintaining and improving electrical development area.
- Conduct failure investigations on electrical systems as required.
- Maintain active related risk management (technical, cost, and schedule) on all associated Electrical tasks.
- Communicate design status to senior management.
- Conduct periodic section meetings to review personnel work safety.
- Conduct periodic face to face meetings with employees to obtain status, ensure efficiency and provide solutions where needed.
- Review and approve employee time cards, overtime requests and travel.
- Review resource requests and conduct interviews to identify and attain necessary personnel.
- Document and perform personnel performance evaluation reviews.
- Generate award nominations for associated personnel.
- Establish and monitor personnel training plan.
- Work with colleagues to coordinate issue resolution across multiple JETS organizations which could include source limitations, technical challenges, process breakdowns, etc.
- Establish a framework and oversight for technical correctness on all work performed by section.
- Understand and be capable of generating comprehensive design concepts based on a given set of requirements.
- Provide rough orders of magnitude (ROM's) and basis of estimates (BOE's) for project and tasks.
- Review, develop or update Electrical Design and Development processes as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
Here's What You'll Need:
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and ten (10) years of direct engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and eight (8) years of direct engineering experience, or Ph.D. and four (4) years of direct engineering experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with NASA/JSC Electrical and Electronics flight intravehicular and extravehicular hardware development processes.
- Previous project management experience required.
- Must be able to perform management duties associated with approximately 40 people.
- Familiarity with NASA Work Instruction EA-023, JSC Policy Directive 7120 (Class 1E), along with flight hardware certification and other flight hardware processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a history of effectively interacting with senior managers at all levels.
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer.
- Prior experience with FPGA Design and VHDL code development.
- Prior experience with data acquisition systems (especially National Instruments) and LabVIEW code development.
- Prior experience with microcontroller circuitry design and associated embedded software development environments.
- Prior experience with cable design for space applications.
- Prior experience in design and test of analog instrumentation systems.
- Prior experience in design and test of stepper and brushless DC-DC control circuits.
- Prior experience in design and test of power supply and conditioning systems.
- Experience planning and establishing work priorities.
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
Why Work on Our Team?
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of all that we do! Come join our team and be part of our future. We look forward to seeing you!
See What We Do
Jacobs Aerospace Solutions Overview
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
In addition to exciting career opportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
For more information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson Space Center, please visit www.wehavespaceforyou.com
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time).
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
: United States-Texas-Houston-20331-ESCG
: Dec 1, 2020, 7:59:33 AM
Job Classification: Full-Time Regular
2224 Bay Area Boulevard
Capabilities: Aerospace Technology and Defense Programs and Facilities