SAIC is seeking Senior Mechanical Design Engineers on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 (On-orbit Servicing, Assembly, and Manufacturing) program in NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division at Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD, but 100% remote candidates will be considered.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division (NExIS) managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will provide mechanical design engineering support for the OSAM-1 I&T team. The OSAM-1 I&T team is responsible for the design, fabrication, assembly, and test of the mechanical ground support equipment and mockups required to perform the ground testing of the OSAM-1 mission at NASA GSFC.
Job duties include:
- Design mechanical ground support equipment to support the ground test campaign of the OSAM-1 servicing mission. Includes taking the MGSE from concept through design, drafting, fabrication, and delivery.
- Ensure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of your technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with NASA and OSAM-1 standards, project plans, and policies.
- Update preliminary and legacy design concepts based on testing and analysis.
- Support the design and fabrication of the mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE) to safely handle critical and flight hardware.
- Support the design and fabrication of full-scale mockups for use in ground testing with critical and flight hardware.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with 9+ years of related experience, HS Diploma with 14+ years of experience.
- Strong experience designing, developing, and delivering mechanical hardware, assemblies, and mechanical systems.
- Strong experience using CREO.
- Expertise in mechanical engineering disciplines for the design, analysis and test of tools and mechanisms, including engineering mechanics (statics and dynamics), strength of materials, structural design, machine design, structural/mechanical testing, manufacturing engineering, mechanical systems, and machine shop practices.
- Firm grasp and understanding of ANSI drafting and tolerance standards.
- Practical knowledge of Standards for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Understanding of advanced fabrication and manufacturing methods.
- Experience at authoring and maintaining project documentation.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interface with engineers, analysts, designers, manufacturing specialists, machine shop, flight techs, and project staff.
- Knowledge of NASA mechanical/mechanism design criteria and standard practices.
- Knowledge of mechanical design as it relates to 1-G mechanism development, testing, and operations.
- Demonstrated experience with space robotics, vision systems, end-effectors, and tools.
- Knowledge of materials, treatments, and coatings related to space-flight design and operation of mechanisms.
- An advanced working knowledge of space flight mechanisms with a focus on: actuators, motors, power transmission, bearing design, electro-mechanical mechanisms, and tribology.
- Experience with Configuration Management Systems (TDMS, Windchill, equivalent).
- Knowledge of General Environmental Verification Specification (GEVS) and NASA 5017.
- Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
Target salary range: $125,001 - $150,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.