SAIC is a Fortune 500 company and a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion and a market capitalization in excess of $4 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
The Director of Technical Accounting and Policy is a highly visible position and is responsible for ensuring that SAIC properly accounts for complex transactions subject to highly technical and specialized accounting guidance. The successful candidate will regularly interact with SAIC’s senior management and professional service providers, as well as manage a small team of direct reports. This position reports to the Assistant Corporate Controller.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Technical accounting, policy and financial reporting for significant and unusual transactions, including those involving revenue recognition, equity and executive compensation, investments, joint ventures, consolidation, capital expenditures, reportable segments, acquisitions, debt financings, leases, goodwill and intangibles.
- Ensuring external financial statements are prepared in conformity with US GAAP and SEC requirements.
- Management of the implementation of new accounting standards, policy development, and the design and implementation of related internal controls.
- Teaming regularly with various internal organizations to provide financial guidance to management for the evaluation of key business initiatives.
- Actively participate in the financial reporting process and the Disclosure Committee process to ensure matters of disclosure importance are identified, evaluated and adequately disclosed in SAIC’s SEC filings.
- Actively engages with external auditors to ensure transparent and timely discussion and resolution of critical audit issues.
- Monitors the activities of the standard-setting organizations (FASB, SEC, and PCAOB), communicates significant changes and trends to management and key stakeholders, and routinely provides trainings to the finance organization.
- Participating in financial accounting due diligence for prospective acquisitions.
- Maintaining and monitoring department compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures.
- Other special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- 12+ years of financial accounting and reporting experience, including 5 years in a public accounting firm (manager or manager equivalent) and with substantial SEC reporting experience.
- Licensed (active) CPA
- Previous experience as an employee or external auditor of a U.S. government contractor
- An excellent understanding of US GAAP and SEC requirements.
- An ability to comprehend technical accounting questions and issues on a broad range of topics, navigate and interpret the relevant authoritative literature (FASB, SEC, PCAOB, etc), evaluate and recommend solutions, and convey those solutions in easy to understand terms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A proven ability to be decisive, resolve issues and deliver on commitments and deadlines
- Unquestioned personal integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills with a respectful, positive, and professional disposition.
- Ability to effectively present information and provide timely, reliable, courteous service to internal and external customers.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution ability
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.