SAIC has an immediate need for a Sr. Network Engineer to support the NASA Integrated Communications Services (NICS) contract at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. The NICS contract provides high quality integrated communications services for secure voice, video and data solutions and services to NASA customers worldwide. Sr. Network Engineer job responsibilities will include design, engineering, installation, configuration, testing, troubleshooting, maintenance and documentation of center network architectures in a multi-vendor, multi-protocol environment. The candidate will develop designs to meet customer requirements according to standard architectures and products. Candidate must be a self-starter, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and multitasking between multiple ongoing projects to ensure customer requirements and timelines. Time management skills are crucial, as is the ability to work with other team members, customers, (CNOC) Central Network Operations Center, Agency Service Lines, and Operations. Occasional work does occur on weekends or evenings, typically in support of coordinated implementations of engineered designs or as escalation in response to unplanned outages. Other duties may also be assigned in support of other service lines as needed.
- Engineer projects, identify new products and solutions, and research solutions for network architectures.
- Design plans for the optimization and restructuring of network architecture
- Provide solutions to complex problems on the integration of various technologies
- Communicate and update project status with customers and management keeping them informed and of incident progress, impending changes, or agreed outages
- Troubleshoot network systems to identify and fix performance issues
- Determine root cause and develop resolution
- Perform analysis to baseline network performance and/or troubleshoot performance issues
- Work in an enterprise service line model
Required Education and Experience:
- BS Degree in related field and 5 years of related experience or
- High School Diploma and 9 years of related experience.
- The Network Engineer must have excellent oral and written skills and be able to present technical information in formal presentations to both internal and external customers. The candidate must have a concrete working knowledge of network infrastructure design, routed data protocols, switches, data, and hardware platforms.
- A wide range of understanding of Switches, Routers, Servers, Cables, Racks, Firewalls, LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, DNS, UDP, Latency, VoIP, QoS, Cisco VSS, Wireless LANs, VPN, VLANS, SNMP, and various routing protocols such as EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, and MPLS.
- Knowledge of and experience using Cisco Nexus switches (2K/5K/7K/9K) in NXOS and Cisco Catalyst switches including the following series: 3850, 6500, 6800, 9300, 9500, and 9600.
- Familiarity with current trends in cloud computing, and network automation/programmability.
- Understanding of fiber and copper cable in a structured plant environment
- Understand a campus network and cable plant environment
- Ability to adhere to NIST standards
- Knowledge of data center environments including physical structure that houses network equipment, electrical power for network equipment and HVAC
- Knowledge of Operating Systems such as Windows, Cisco Systems, UNIX, Linux
Desired Skills / Experiences:
• Knowledge of and experience using Nexus 9K running in ACI-mode to support a SDN data center - including APIC controllers
• Knowledge of Cisco wireless controllers and WAPs
• Knowledge of Riverbed Steel Central Appliances in relation with WireShark
• An understanding of basic Project Management principles
Certifications / Training:
Desired Certifications / Training:
- Certifications: CCNP, CCIE, Network+
Travel (if any):