JOB DESCRIPTION: May design, analyze, plan, modify, and maintain networks and network components supporting data, voice and/or audio communication activities. Prepares the analysis of short/long term capacity needs for switching, routing transmission and signaling. May conduct network architecture design, feasibility and cost studies as well as internal studies of network performance and traffic analysis. May evaluate new technology. Duties may include providing specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture; providing information for hardware and software selection; and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. Conducts testing of network systems. Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, switchers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc. Evaluates and reports on new network technologies to enhance capabilities of the network. (It should be understood that this is not intended to be a detailed nor comprehensive description of any individual employee's job content. Managers set the specific duties and responsibilities for each employee).
Bachelors and two (2) years or more experience. Four additional years' experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance. An Interim Secret Clearance will be required to start the position.
- Experience with Cisco network platforms: firewalls, routers, switches, wireless controllers and wireless access points.
- Experience ensuring network connectivity across core and distribution network hardware to provide a high level of availability
- Ensure event logs and routine backups are being taken on all major equipment items. Verify current running configs are saved and available.
- Utilize a process to implement and track new network designs and network modifications.
- Create and execute on efficient operational procedures.
- Prior experience with SIPRNet preferred
- CCNA Routing and Switching Certification, CCNA Security, or CCNP a PLUS