May design, analyze, plan, modify, and maintain networks and network components supporting data, voice and/or audio communication activities. Prepares the analysis of short/long term capacity needs for switching, routing transmission and signaling. May conduct network architecture design, feasibility and cost studies as well as internal studies of network performance and traffic analysis. May evaluate new technology. Duties may include providing specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture; providing information for hardware and software selection; and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. Conducts testing of network systems. Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, switchers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc. Evaluates and reports on new network technologies to enhance capabilities of the network. (It should be understood that this is not intended to be a detailed nor comprehensive description of any individual employee's job content. Managers set the specific duties and responsibilities for each employee).
Frequent use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques. Receives assignments in the form of objectives and establishes goals to meet outlined objectives. Work is reviewed by supervisor/lead to measure meeting objectives. Directs established guidelines, procedures and policies.
Provides solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity where analysis of situations or data requires a review of the variety of factors.
Works under general direction on routine work. May receive detailed instructions on new projects or assignments. Follows established procedures. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy. Exercises judgement within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. IMPACT: Contributes to completion of milestones associated with specific projects. Failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause delays in program schedules and may result in allocation of additional resources. LIASON: Primarily internal company contacts. Infrequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts on routine matters.
- Bachelors and two (2) years or more experience; Masters and 0 years related experience
- US Citizen with the ability to obtain a Secret Clearance. An Interim Secret Clearance will be required to start the position.
- Experience with Cisco network platforms: firewalls, routers, switches, wireless controllers and wireless access points.
- Experience ensuring network connectivity across core and distribution network hardware to provide a high level of availability
- Ensure event logs and routine backups are being taken on all major equipment items. Verify current running configs are saved and available.
- Utilize a process to implement and track new network designs and network modifications.
- Create and execute on efficient operational procedures.
- Prior Experience with U.S. Coast Guard Cutter networks preferred
- CCNA Routing and Switching Certification, CCNA Security, or CCNP preferred