SAIC is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the Nancy Roman Space Telescope program. This position is located in Rochester, NY.
The purpose of this work is to provide management, mechanical engineering, material procurement and general technical support to the Roman Space Telescope (RST) program.
The Systems Engineer will:
- Review subsystem, system, and observatory acceptance test data for compliance with performance specifications and coordinate detailed reviews with Project technical discipline experts.
- Support resolution of technical, schedule, and programmatic issues, including identification of work-around plans to allow OTA development, integration, and testing to progress.
- Maintain a presence on the assembly, integration, and test floor.
- Monitor production, testing, and maintenance of ground support equipment.
- Provide timely written and verbal inputs to keep RST management and engineering team informed about issues, problems, and progress.
- Assist in performing technical milestone evaluations and provide input to the RST OTA Manager / Contracting Officer Representative.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, materials science, or closely related field with 25 years of related experience, or 29 years of experience with no degree.
- Requires knowledge of large optic (> 2 meters) telescopes in cool temperatures.
- Working with large optics (> 2 meters) telescopes that support multiple instruments is required.
- The OTA has optics between 293K and ~195K, and knowledge of optical survivability and functionality under cool conditions is required.
- The FOA is existing hardware, and knowledge with historical methodologies for space-flight hardware is required.
- Experience with building telescopes with NASA Goddard, and meeting NASA’s standards for hardware safety, including GOLD rules.
- Must be able and willing to work on site at the contractor’s facility in Rochester, NY.
- Must have excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work well with a highly diverse and interdisciplinary team.
Target salary range: $215,001 - $225,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.