SAIC has an immediate opening for a networking engineer to perform network systems engineering functions including modeling, analysis and design of connectivity between space vehicles and ground stations as well as evaluating data routing solutions for LEO Satellite communications network. The successful applicant(s) will leverage their technical expertise to support efforts to grow a business unit from providing system engineering to management and delivery of complex satellite programs. This approach will require creating and building a new operations infrastructure based on industry best practices and innovative strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop IP network engineering capability based on LEO satellite and ground systems and user terminals requirements for defense security applications
- Design IP network architectures for space and ground systems and define their interfaces based on industry interoperability standards, and document network operations to ensure maximum flexibility for on-boarding to the network
- Work closely with SAIC space vehicle engineers to design and implement avionics and payload data routing protocols and to meet network performance requirements
- Work closely with SAIC ground system engineers to specify, procure, and install hardware and software to operate the ground segment of the network
- Coordinate with network engineers from other constellations to integrate space vehicles to ground networks and provide connectivity disparate user terminals
- Manage a global mesh network with constantly reconfiguring optical inter-satellite communications links
- Manage and expand network interconnections, network co-location sites and points of presence (POPs) provided by the government customer
- Implement network performance monitoring capability to proactively manage network health to enhance operational availability between satellites and on space-to-ground links, and on ground network links
Required Education and Experience:
- BS Degree in an Engineering field or Computer Science and minimum 14 years of related experience; Master's and 10 years related experience
Candidates must possess a working knowledge of, experience with and/or ability to perform:
- Networking Hardware such as routers (Cisco, Juniper), switches (Cisco, Juniper, Brocade), Firewalls (Palo Alto, ASA, IP tables, tec.)
- Network modeling tools such as OPNET or other industry equivalents
- Network protocols such as OSPF, BGP, MPLS, Multicast, VOIP, etc.
- Environments such as cloud computing (AWS, Azure, VMWare), high-speed processing, Big Data
- Proactively execute as organized and dedicated change agent, core to ensuring quality assurance while assisting with the culture shift per customer's vision/needs
- Assist with the troubleshooting of Layer 2 and Layer 3 related issues
- Ability to develop WBS and provide main and sublevel work details
- Successfully work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deliverables simultaneously
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a government issued Secret clearance. US Citizenship required.
Salary commensurate with experience