SAIC is rapidly growing a System Integration team to deliver a new, complex space and ground system in support of National Security. This exciting and innovative program, located in Chantilly VA, is leveraging best practices in system engineering, via Digital Engineering processes and technology, and in Agile software development, via DevSecOps development. This multi-year contract will require energetic engineers to define and integrate major space systems and associated ground elements from concept into an operational enterprise.
SAIC is seeking a Senior System Safety Engineer to oversee aspects of space vehicle safety, and the safety of the overall system. The role includes analyzing designs to identify hazards, categorize risks, and recommend mitigations to reduce the probability/severity of a mishap resulting in injury to personnel, equipment damage, and/or damage to the environment.
- Collaborate with government personnel, vendors and the user community to ensure the safety of the space system.
- Conduct system safety analysis of hardware and software.
- Create safety documentation and review submissions to include but not limited to Hazard Tracking Systems, Risk Acceptance Letters, and Safety Releases.
- Prepare/review/update Technical Data Packages and Presentation Materials in support of Safety Review Board Reviews.
- Review System Requirements documentation to identify potential hazardous conditions and make recommendations to system design in collaboration with program staff.
- Perform operational analysis to identify potential deficiencies in operating procedures, and training documentation.
- Make recommendations to resolve deficiencies and make recommendations to test plans to ensure safety requirements are met.
- Assess Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs) and other system change requests to identify/verify safety risks.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field; major in Science, Engineering or a technical related field preferred and at least 5 years of relevant experience. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- 5 years of experience performing system safety engineering analyses
- Experience with manufacturing space vehicles, ground systems and launch operations.
- Experience conducting System Engineering Analysis, System Safety Analysis, Risk Management and/or Hazard Analysis
- Experience preparing technical reports