Navy Desktop Refresh Technician

  • SAIC, Inc
  • San Diego, CA, USA
  • Aug 24, 2021

Job Description

Description

SAIC is looking for a Navy Desktop Refresh Technician to support a US Navy client. This position is initially remote from home with at least 85% travel OCONUS to various Navy bases located in Europe, Middle East, and Far East in CY 2022. Overtime/Extended Work Week is possible for this role.

Job Duties:

  • PC Refresh Team member in OCONUS (overseas) travel at various Navy Bases (Far East, Middle East, and Europe) to implement replacement PCs, deploy mission critical software, messaging and command data to new hardware equipment
  • Stage, image, and deploy new desktop/laptop machines and migrate user data.
  • Image and push applications packages to new workstations.
  • Troubleshoot and repair hardware and network connectivity issues.
  • Perform asset management for site-specific properties, including custody transfer, daily status report and tracking of assets using Microsoft Access database.
  • Manage trouble tickets. This includes tracking resolution progress and updating customers on ticket status.
  • Understand and ensure team obligation to safeguard vital relationship our Nation has with Foreign Countries to include personal conduct while performing under the contract and on one's personal time.
  • Travel 85+% to OCONUS locations starting mid-January 2022.

SAIC has the current Task Order and is well positioned to conduct this effort in CY 2022.

Qualifications

Required Education and Experience:

  • A bachelor’s degree plus two years of specialized experience, or; an associate’s degree or major certification plus 4 years of specialized experience or; 8 years of specialized experience.

Required skills:

  • Specialized experience includes Desktop Support/PC Technician experience to include user data migration, imaging and troubleshooting.
  • Windows OS, Software applications Operating Systems and light network experience.
  • Excellent technical troubleshooting, problem solving and customer service skills.
  • Other Pre-requisites:
    • Valid US passport with expiration greater than 6 months from 30 November 2022
    • Must be able to carry 15 pounds
    • May be required to provide health record to host nation for work visa applications

Required clearance:

  • Active Secret clearance.

Required certification:

  • DoD 8570 IAT Level II (Current CompTIA Security+ is required, and Microsoft Windows 10 or Server 2016 certifications).

Travel required 75% of the time. The other 25% will be working from home.


COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
Target salary range: $50,001 - $75,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.