SAIC is seeking a highly motivated Network Engineer/Network Administrator to join our multi-disciplined team at our Identity and Data Sciences Laboratory (IDSL) in Upper Marlboro, MD. The selected individual will contribute significantly to maintaining our existing enterprise class Windows and Linux based computing environments. Additionally, they will be an instrumental member of the team developing, configuring, and deploying the IDSL's next generation scalable infrastructure that will be used to evaluate emerging hardware and software technology designed to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and satisfaction of processes used to facilitate travel and trade. These technologies include biometric acquisition and data processing systems, data capture instrumentation and recording systems, and high throughput screening systems. The IDSL team operates the Maryland Test Facility (MdTF; http://mdtf.org) to carry out both small and large scale technology evaluations on behalf of our customers. The candidate will join a team composed of scientists, engineers, and subject matter experts working to design, build, and execute experiments in support of customer goals. The successful candidate will enjoy working in a hands-on environment with work primarily being performed onsite in a research setting, with additional opportunities to support field tests and pilots. This position is based in Upper Marlboro, MD and expects up to 10% travel within the continental US. Compensation DOE.
The Network Engineer will:
- Perform high-level, day-to-day operational administration of complex multi-user computing systems including user management, audits, patches, upgrades, and backups.
- Monitor IDSL network performance of data stores, servers, and databases, troubleshooting and repairing issues as they arise and making recommendations for optimization strategies to improve usability, performance, and efficiency.
- Coordinate, schedule and perform software installations of physical and virtual Windows and Linux operating systems and associated application software packages.
- Ensure data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions of varying complexities.
- Ensure data/media recoverability by developing and implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations in accordance with industry best practices.
- Test, evaluate, and recommend next generation software applications and virtualized services for suitability for deployment on managed systems.
- Maintain system security strategies, policies, and procedures in support of Approval to Operate (ATO) certifications.
- Develop, implement and promote standard operating procedures and network security measures.
- Maintain technical expertise of relevant industry standards for virtualization technologies and next generation hardware
- BS and 2+ years, MS and 0+ years, or equivalent related experience.
- Able to obtain and maintain DHS Suitability public trust.
- In order to obtain DHS Public Trust, U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Experience installing, configuring, securing, and managing current day server hardware, operating systems, and applications in both Windows and Linux environments.
- Experience configuring and managing network security appliances and enterprise class switches.
- Experience configuring and managing network workstations and laptops.
- Possesses meticulous organizational skills with experience in administrative support documentation, log file analysis, system audits, and other record keeping practices.
- Willing to iterate and adapt system support requirements to changing needs and conditions.
- Possesses strong writing skills and can clearly explain and document technical plans, findings, and recommendations.
- Enjoys working in a multi-disciplined team environment but able to work independently as needed.
- Understands the proper communication techniques to effectively elicit requirements for a task.
- MCSA/MCSE, CCNA/CCNP, VMware Certified Professional, or CompTIA Network+ certification.
- CISSP, CISM, SSCP, CEH, or CompTIA Security+ certification.
- Demonstrated experience making administrative decisions based on information assurance standards, scalability, extensibility, supportability, and sustainability.
- Operational experience with ESXI, VMware vSphere, VCenter Server, Backup Exec, McAfee Endpoint Security and Patch Manager a strong plus.
- Hands-on coding skills in one or more programming languages such as Python, Perl, R, Ruby, Java, and .NET.
- Knowledge of container management platforms such as Marathon/Mesos, Kubernetes, and Docker. US Citizenship and favorable government suitability determination required.